Wednesday, November 03, 2004

 
Catch Me Now I'm Falling
Well, the election returns don't look good as I write this. My mostly non-US coworkers (a variety of Brits and UK-related types, as well as Chinese, Bangladeshi, Singaporites (?), etc.) are stopping by my desk to offer condolences and to ask if I'm going to go turn in my passport at the US consulate in protest tomorrow.
On the other hand, being one of only two Yanks in the newsroom tonight, I'm also catching some jibes.
"What's wrong with your country, no common sense or what?" asked one fellow, a rolly-polly thick-tongued Brit originally from a rural Northern English village.
I kinda groped for a witty rejoinder beyond "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown" when he suddenly shifted gears.
"What do you reckon Ray would say?"
"Ray" referred to Ray Davies, frontman and creative spark for the Kinks. My tormenter and I had discovered a few weeks ago that we shared a mutual passion for Davies and the band, though we share little else beyond the same employer.
That part was easy. Davies is versatile and I immediately seized on a song from a 1979 called Catch Me Now I'm Falling in which the character, Captain America, asks for help after years of helping others in need.
Here's an excerpt:
I remember, when you were down
And you needed a helping hand
I came to feed you
But now that I need you
You won’t give me a second glance
Now I’m calling all citizens from all over the world
This is Captain America calling
I bailed you out when you were down on your knees
So will you catch me now I’m falling

"Catch me now I'm falling," I shot back.
He knew the song, of course, and smiled for the first time.
"Damn right," he replied.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?