Monday, September 15, 2003

 
Crisis averted for now. After keeping me hanging in my hotel as the clock ticked away towards check-out, I was finally summoned to the Shenzhen Daily for a confab. After lengthy back and forth negotiations complicated by their bafflement at my explanation of US hiring standards and my disappointment in their lack of faith in me, they agreed to employ me. At least until the results of my blood tests come back. I'm clean that way, I assume. But assuming anything here has already proven me wrong several times.
I began work late in the morning and am still trying to master the Chinese PC and the paper's editing system. It seems pretty basic, but with the file screens and story slugs all in Chinese, it's a bit confusing to say the least. The staff is quite small and outwardly friendly. Very relaxed for the most part. The man a friend of mine in the states has dubbed "the evil Mr. Tan" sacked out on a leather couch in the office with his shoes off and a blanket wrapped around him for about an hour. Gotta get the rest after scaring the bejeezus outta me.
I've edited about eight stories including a fractured Chinglish dissing of the latest Michael Bolton CD which I rewrote heavily. Syntax was mangled but the spirit was good. Glad to see a few mind sets are similar.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?